View Single Post
Old 03-09-23, 07:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
I am getting ready to start a build using this 2007 Redline Conquest Pro frame. It's been educational watching this thread for some great ideas. I am curious about everyone's thoughts on a short travel front shock instead of a rigid fork. Any pros or cons?
My thoughts for myself- zero interest in a heavy fork that has very little travel and is constantly compressing when I stand to climb. I dont need that type of suspension to ride gravel roads and dont want to deal with the downsides.
My thoughts for others- if you are concerned the surface will be too uncomfortable, and/or if you are unable to use your arms and legs as suspension during the rare times when a road is too rought to sit(like washboard), then perhaps a suspension fork is a good idea.

Are there rim brake short travel suspension forks that are good quality? I really dont know- seems like thats a specific use case that wouldnt have been popular pre-disc, but thats a total guess.
Also to consider- what offset will the fork have vs what offset do you want for steering and feel?