View Single Post
Old 06-21-09, 09:03 AM
bikinggrrrl

Bikes: old Merlin, Santana Beyond, & a mommy bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The whole pothole thing got me thinking....

Do you know how anyone can help put pressure on a town's DPW to resurface their roads? As I ride past Walden Pond on Route 126, I often have to take the lane to get through. The Lincoln roads are amazingly awful. I used to think to myself as I strained to keep up with the flow of traffic, "If the residents of Lincoln want me to ride on the right side of the road, they will put some dang pavement there." Well they recently cold-patched some of the holes so I have changed my mantra to "If the residents of Lincoln want me to ride on the right side of the road, they will put some smooth pavement there."

Anyone ever try to contact a town's DPW or selectmen to complain about road conditions? Perhaps write a letter to the editor of local newspaper? I'm not of the mindset that roads should be beautifully maintained for my comfort, but there are definitely roads out there that pose a hazard to cyclists.

FWIW, Carlisle recently did some resurfacing. Rutland Street from the Billerica line to Great Brook Path as well as River Road (aka Monument Street on the Concord end) from Skelton Road to the Concord town line. Plans are in the works to do West Street soon.