Old 06-22-21, 06:42 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
IMHO, the simplest way to “visualize” what the OP wants to know is using the Sheldon Brown Gear Calculator. I use the “gear inch” mode. After inputting specific wheel size and crank length, enter the number of chainring teeth (small to large) and the number of cog teeth (large to small) in the provided “boxes” and then click “calculate”. The result will be columns of numbers that can be used to compare the relationships of the gear (chainring to cog) combinations to one another. In the OP’s situation, the left column will go from 22 to ~72 and the right column from ~34 to ~110. When looking at these columns of numbers, one will see that several of the gear combinations are very similar in value. (The OP’s bike doesn’t have 18 different gears!) These numbers DO have meaning but to me, the difference between them is the most meaningful. While maintaining a given cadence, going between gear combinations with the smallest “number” difference will be the smoothest transition. Unfortunately, doing so may require “double shifting” and more than one cog decrease or increase. I’ve been mocked for this before but I’ve printed out the “gear inch” chart and taped it to the stem on several of my bikes. At a glance, I can see the gear combination that has the smallest difference (without being nearly identical) when shifting to a higher or lower gear. I suppose a person could memorize the “progression” but that’s too much work for me!