canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
The easily remembered take-home lessons are to eat easily digested calorie food frequently. And never never never go anaerobic or into lactic acid buildup unless absolutely necessary. It goes without saying that you must also drink plenty of water.

I write all this because of your stated intent to run higher gears. If it causes your legs to go all burning-feeling then you are shortening your ride. The trick to riding a century is balance - balance between going so fast you burn out or so slow it takes you all day and then some, balance between your legs burning or your lungs burning or your stomach grumbling. You can ignore all this on a two to three hour ride. But most people can't ignore it on a century which will take 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 hours.
Thanks, Jim. I remember the challenges from riding centuries years ago. But I was in my 20s then, in peak condition, so it's more of a challenge now.

BTW, I don't intend to ride the century in taller gears. It's just a variation in training I'm trying. I'll probably stick with the familiar easier gears and 80 rpm or so for the real deal.

And rather than riding 50 miles out and back I'm taking a circuitous route around the area, usually within walking, bus or begging a ride from friends distance of home. A friend said he'll be available for on-call sag wagonning if I wimp out on the most distance stretch of the ride. But I'm tackling that section first while I'm fresh. It's the same route I did the ride-my-age personal challenge in August, when it was hot. I'll rest a bit at home after that leg, then tackle the rest which will be within bus reach for most of the route.

Eventually I'll tackle a more remote century but I'll do that on an organized and supported ride next year.