Old 12-11-17, 02:43 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
There isn't a tire made where you can't find someone who passionately loves that tire right alongside someone who just as passionately hates it. That said, this tire works just fine for me and has been very robust in gravel. No issues. Please understand, I'm not advocating this tire as a be-all tire for everyone. My point is this: There are some innovations happening in the tubeless world in the development of tires that is having a big impact and the ride quality and the tire capability is changing rapidly.

My normal road tires are tubulars which I ride because I like the suppleness and the ride quality. I rarely get flats (i.e. no pinch flats). Riding the G-1's, I find that the ride is just as nice, more plush and not harsh at all. That has been the traditional problem for me with most tubeless tires to date - they feel like truck tires on a bike.

My choice in tubular has been the Clement LGG in 25c which is a tubeless tubular. I've been riding those (or similar tires) since I got rid of clinchers about 10 years ago. When I made the change, I went from 6-8 flats per year to 0-1. In the last two years I have not had a flat in either of those years over multiple tires. So that would be around 15 total flats avoided. I attribute that to largely the elimination of pinch flats and any small punctures are sealed by the sealant. Tubeless clinchers, especially in the wider tire sizes offer the same advantages but the ride quality as been pretty lousy to date. I think that tide has turned.

With that history of punctures (or lack there of), I have no issues with the Schwalbe tubeless which are just as robust as my tubulars. Granted most of that has been on the road, but the experience on gravel in the last two years has been parallel to the experience on the road. I'm expecting we're going to see a lot more tubeless tires that have superb ride quality show up in the next 18 months.

Carrying an extra tire on tour is something you have to do anyhow. If that's the price I pay for getting great ride quality then I'd far rather do that than use some boat anchor of a tire won't be as much fun to ride and will drag on my legs every stroke of the pedals. I see absolutely no reason not to use tubeless tires on a tour.

J.
good post ....