Old 01-22-22, 07:50 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Their separation in terms of w/kg isn't that much, but the fact that Brevet is significantly heavier means that he puts out quite a bit more power; this means that some diesels will have trouble keeping up with his w/kg on the climbs, whereas some climbers may have trouble hanging on in the flats or downhills.

Anquetil has a significantly higher w/kg, but swings back the other way and is light, which makes me wonder how long I could hang on to that group ride - I should be fine on the flats and downhills, but I'd have to be feelin' my Wheaties if there's an extended climb. Actually, I did ride with Anquetil for a little bit, once - I caught them from behind, somehow. I hung around for a bit, but was ultimately on a different course and ended up splitting off at a fork in the road.

But yeah, part of me thinks that varying only the w/kg of the pace partners, while keeping the weight constant, might make the groups more evenly spaced... but it might also make them more boring and give riders fewer niches to identify with.
Thats interesting. I actually didn’t have trouble with staying ahead of brevet during the climbs. Descents and flats were harder. The flats were weird, I couldn’t figure out the correct power to stay with the group. I was either pulling ahead or getting dropped, and when I was pulling ahead I was red lining.