urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Age comparisons are hard. Things change a lot as they age. Focus on fun now and showing up. You can get an idea of sprint vs endurance now. Speed is far less important than winning. You can be slower and win. You can be a wheel sucker and win.

Dad brag warning, but because you asked.
About 22 mph on a TT bike. Age 11 maybe 25-26 TT bike. Likely under 20mph on road bike @ age 10 or 11 we didn't time it because he was riding a TT bike. They changed the rules later and you had to use a road bike.
Age ~15 >25 on a road bike. 30+ on TT bike.
Equipment and training matter a whole lot at low ages as most kids have vastly different equipment - and training.
FWIW the national record for 10-12 is right around 25 mph and 15-16 is just under 30 mph.
https://usacycling.org/resources/nat...tional-records
I don't know when they took away TT bikes, but even back in the 90's most of us younger kids just rode our road bikes with maybe a clip-on bar. I doubt road bike vs. TT bike is a 6 mph difference, or I would have been a world class contender with just an equipment change. It sounds like your child is in the upper echelon of competition, but local races are likely a little tamer.