View Single Post
Old 05-18-22, 08:43 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
My enthusiasm for the Clunker 100 challenge continues to increase, so I was "In Again" this year, but so far unable to find a worthy entry. Been back in Oregon 2 weeks and the cold, wet Spring has impacted my annual yard cleanup plus greatly reducied daily riding opportunity. There have been few local yard sales. I haven't found any good Clunker candidates on our local Cl either. Yesterday was sunny for a change, so after a long day of yardwork, I went for a ride on my Raleigh Super Course, musing on what to do. Zooming down a hill, leaning into a curve at the bottom, I was again impressed with the ride and feel of this old Clunker. A veteran of the 2017 Clunker challenge, it's been a reliable ride for 5 years now. Why can't I find something like this again?? Actually that's my perfect solution: The "5th Anniversary Clunker Tour"

So that's my ride this year! Pics of my Super Course build are on pages 5 and 7 of the Clunker Challenge 100 #3 link on page 1 of this year's thread. That build came in at $59.75. Post challenge improvements:
1. Used saddle from NW Hub $5. 2. Pair of replacement tires, depreciated value $20. 3. Used fender set from NW Hub, $8. 4. Reynolds 531 replacement sticker for the disintegrated original, $7. 5. Sharpie blackout of "Motobecane" on crank arm to produce a Faux T.A. look, $00. Total for the 2022 challenge $99.75, leaving me an $8.25 Clunker Repair Budget. Don

5th Anniversary Clunker from 2017 Challenge

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 05-18-22 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add pic
Likes For ollo_ollo: