View Single Post
Old 05-19-21, 06:55 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What models from these builders would you say compare directly against an S-Works Aethos? I'm thinking they are all going to be quite different bikes with quite different pros and cons. Take Moots for example. Lovely as they are, they don't make anything remotely like the Aethos.
I get your point, but if you very specifically want an Aethos, you can get one for a far lower price than the SWorks that will ride extremely similarly to the SWorks version (example: the Pro is $7.800, has a frame weight within 100g of the SWorks, has the same rims, has ETap, has a very similar cockpit etc). At 13K, the SWorks is firmly in the territory of fetish properties: it's something you buy because you want the SWorks, not because of any vastly different ride characteristic. It becomes a matter of personal preference, not quantitative logic as even the OP of this thread admits. For me, my personal preference would be to get a full custom Firefly at this price. Such a bike just suits me better and would be something I'd be happy to ride for years. Just my opinion.

People seem very offended that I have a different opinion than them.