View Single Post
Old 06-17-21, 03:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
do you ride in crappy areas or did you find that the Schwalbes aren’t really that puncture resistant? The Aerothan tubes have piqued my interest as well
I’ve been using Pro One since they came out, and I love them. I’ve had a couple get incurable tread cuts, but that’s just a matter of luck. I trust those tires to grip and handle as fast as I care to go; I’ve done a hair under 60mph at the top end, but they’ve pulled me through some hairy turns at lower speeds, which is why I trust them… and they feel good.

Speaking of which, I recently abandoned tubeless on some Herse Bon Jon Pass with Extralight casing because I could not get them to seal up securely; the sidewalls just bled air everywhere. Anyway, I popped in some Aerothan tubes, and I can tell you that the ride quality is not as nice and supple as tubeless (at the same pressures).

The Aerothan are light, though— 50g in my 700x35 size— and they’re supposed to be quite resilient and puncture resistant, but more than anything, I’m happy they ended my nightmare with the Bon Jon Extralights. Next time I'll stick to the Standard casing Herse tires for tubeless. I’ve got a set of 650b Herse Switchback Hill Standards which handle tubeless fine.