Old 10-16-21, 01:42 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
On my way to work, I can’t help but wonder what life would be like if the freeways were closed for a week and you could use a bike on them. It would save a lot of time and effort.

I also imagine what it would be like if there were no beg buttons (crosswalk buttons) and all lights were automatically set up so they gave a walk signal without having to find the button and push it. Or maybe they were set for bikes and pedestrians first, and cars came second.

I also want a lane dedicated to bike riders at our local Starbucks. That would be awesome. I guess I could ride in the car drive thru lane, but that’s not quite as fun to imagine.

And I’d like to have a steamroller to flatten and repair some of the bike paths. Roads get resurfaced every so often, but not bike paths.

And then one day, I’ve always wanted to park a utility truck in the middle of the road since they seem oblivious to the fact that parking on bike paths messes up the commute to everyone who uses that path that day.

Anyone else dream of changing things while riding?

That's a nice dream. Before the pandemic, Becel Ride for Heart would have a charity event on a Sunday in June. The Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway in Toronto would be closed to motorists for cyclists to ride.

During the pandemic, on selected weekends, the city would close the Lakeshore Boulvard West for cyclists only.

One of my personal dreams is to put up signs at every major intersection that says "Motorists, get out of your car and push". Those would be equivalent to signs on the bike trails telling cyclists to dismount and walk.

Sometime in the 1990s, I was at a charity dinner. As luck would have it, my wife and I shared the table with the Premier of Ontario and another high profile politician. I told them I'd like to have a bicycle commuter highway running from the east end of Scarborough into Mississauga. Of course, that never happened but it's nice to know that awareness of cyclists have come a long way since then.

Dream to the max.

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-16-21 at 01:48 PM.