Old 02-26-21, 02:30 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Hmm...don't know anything about computer (CAD) design programs, but here's a shot of my Mondia that looks to be in the vein of your design . . . ?

60 cm / 531 Spl Lightweight tubing / ITM bar & stem / Edco Comp Hdset / Cyclone Derails / Dura Ace 53/39 / Amer Classic hubs / FIR Rims / Regina X-tra 12x26 freewheel / 19.5 lbs
"As I live and breathe..."

...one of the very chrome combinations I was considering! Remarkable similarity in forks as well, including painting the cutout (which I have been heavily considering). Thank you for posting your Mondia! I think this confirms that, for me, having less chrome 'modernizes' the aesthetic composition to late-'80s levels so as to allow a black stem and seat post to be used without fear (to me) of visual clashing. That and I better have some really dark grey anodizing or gloss black on my rims. A lot of black on the upper portion of the bike/composition (really, pretty much the stem and seat post) visually "demands" (to me) the lower portion of the bike (aka the wheels) have that reciprocating and visually 'anchoring' black. Whether that be with all black tires, or darker rims, there are options.

I did some reworking (saddle angle and color deepening) to get a better idea of things.

Then I removed the pinstriping and made the tires have black walls. You can see how this anchors the composition and balances the black elements up top. If I was to remove the chrome, the composition would be even more of a two-tone affair. Do I want to go for that? I don't know. I have tan wall tires and I want to use them. I may have to run back to the "more silver" look.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: