Old 03-07-21, 10:23 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Digital update: Now with decals "applied"! Took a few hours to remake the decals via online images and incorporate them into the model, placing them (in the correct size) where they used to be as I had taken measurements. This, I think, helps considerably. I swear, I'll make derailleurs and shifters next, haha. I need to source brake levers in real life, and haven't found ones yet (or ones at reasonable prices and in reasonable condition).

As to the frame/3D model itself, I changed the seat stay cap to reflect the "spoon" cap on the Medici. Looks a lot better! I swapped fork crowns and readjusted the fork blades' curve. Improvements for sure. Still need to add a FD braze-on (should be simple) and I'll either put in water bottles, or just add the hardware to dress the bosses up.

I've done some good riding with the bike and I enjoy it. Found some SRAM brake levers (first SRAM ever) and will run those to get a better idea of front end comfort as well as putting my hands where they are "supposed" to be (per my measurements, which means slightly more forward of where they were). I'm still using the quill conversion, though I seem to be converging on a traditional quill solution...which reminds me: I made an ITM / 3TTT stem for this model. I've been busy, indeed. Not just making pretty pictures.

Anyway, to the renderings. Firstly, a deepened candy red metallic. How legit do those graphics make this bike look??? Chrome seat stay cap as a love note to the original and now (sadly) corroded cap. It will be painted red. But the dreams and wishes here are free!

Jet black. Classic. Classy. Beautiful.

I did one in the original dark grey metallic. A really nice color (er, shade?). I keep the silver components as they are what I have (well, wheels certainly), so I'm working to have an accurate representation (minus the saddle, which will likely be that Prologo I have on it now. Decisions.....).

These SRAM levers allow my palms to be comfortable when riding as the previous "just get it running" setup didn't. With reach where it needs to be (aka further), that will provide critical data as to it's handling and feel when sprinting or climbing/accelerating up hills. You can also see the visual bulk of the front end quill conversion (and light-grabbing polished pieces) in contrast to the fluted and carved seatpost. It's been bugging me this whole time, but again, this is the testing phase and as soon as I get an idea for the front end, then we move forward.

I've always liked these SRAM levers (gutted shifters, essentially) and thankfully they deliver on the comfort promise like they do visually. A wild idea is to pair it with a newer carbon SRAM Red / Red 22 crankset (53/39T configuration), have Dura-Ace everything else, and basically have a street weapon with an Innicycle headset and black seatpost (if not fully black "upper" bike). Default is pretty and polished silver. It's also noticeably cheaper. We shall see.