Old 09-18-20, 06:44 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
For me, the appeal is the difference between a consumerist approach to cycling and a more hands on approach.

Clothing apart (I too like the function of kit) the modern direction in cycling is overpriced and overly complicated to the point where riders no longer build or maintain their own bikes. Todays must have latest and greatest is next years has been obsolescence. The talked about marketing and price point is now aimed at the financially well off and I feel a little sad for young people who may want to get into the sport but face the perception that you need a 5-10K CF electronically shifted niche bike to be relevant.

GP breaks from that mold and offers a different POV. Wear normal clothes, have a simple bike you can afford and adjust yourself. Try to be real and avoid the plastic ego imagery.

Having said that, Riv bikes tend to be overpriced themselves, like the boutique version of homespun ideas, and the anti establishment flannel vibe can be as constraining as the neon lycra one. I tend to flow between both worlds. I like the Riv aesthetic but would probably never buy one because I could build my own far cheaper (and enjoy the process). I wear flannel and lycra depending and don't mind modern technology if it facilitates a goal.

Garage sale rust and cobwebs to me sounds like someone who is unfamiliar with doing and too familiar with buying. Pick up a hex wrench and get your hands a little dirty. Or avoid it all and get virtual high fives on the Peleton.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-18-20 at 11:48 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet: