martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Well, that is partly correct. Probably the more significant initial reason was to make an effort to try and preserve the "white roads" of Tuscany and surrounding regions which were under threat of being paved and further developed. The vehicle they used to accomplish this (no pun intended) was the bicycle, and theme, specifically from an earlier era when these roads were used by professional racers. Creating a movement of sorts through a sporting event to accomplish that end. The vintage aspect of this new event was in keeping with the history of the area as well as to honor the historic use by the racers who are so highly regarded in Italy. It all tied together very well and made for a very attractive package.

Now, as we all know L'Eroica in Italy and some of the other franchise venues have specific days or routes for modern bikes to participate in the event. It is not exclusive to vintage cycles anymore and has not been for several years. And, when Bianchi (a sponsor almost from the beginning) decided to support the event in a bigger way it was in part to promote their own products.
That is true from an organizers point of view, I spoke as someone participating. You are also right about the direction the event is going, for the more "hardcore" folks there are other events I guess

I still object the idea that the Bianchi retro bike is in any way superior to a real vintage bike which can be had at a fraction of the price tag. Maybe it's harder to find some in the US, I don't know enough about the market to be fair, but here in Europe there is no shortage of very nicely preserved, lovingly cared for by their owners, 1970ies and 1980ies high end bikes, and they rarely pass the 1000€ mark when for sale.
Simpler models (gran sport or nuovo record ones, or such with nong campy parts, often are around 300€) . I would have no qualms hopping onto one of those after a few simple checks on the tires and the brakes - In fact, that's what i did with both the Rabeneick and the Casati. I have 5 or 6 of them in my stable that I never touched with a wrench after buying, and I ride most of them every now and then - and ride such an event, and there would be no disadvantage over the Bianchi in terms of function, reliability or performance.

Last edited by martl; 01-17-21 at 04:41 PM.
Likes For martl: