Old 01-17-21, 07:28 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
I still object the idea that the Bianchi retro bike is in any way superior to a real vintage bike.
In all of the discussion in all of the threads in this forum about this bike over the years I do not recall anyone suggesting that the Bianchi L'Eroica bike was superior in any significant way to an actual classic. It was simply another choice in bicycles, a way to get modern performance and classic looks in a new bicycle. In fact, it appears that Bianchi was on to something because now there are quite a few other manufacturers who have followed suit with their own quality retro offerings.

My own Bianchi L'Eroica is a joy to ride, though I have modified it to be more to my liking by adding more Campy to it. It is frame #22 and I ride it as often as opportunity allows including (to date) 3 Eroica's and some centuries. I have ridden other Eroica events (8 total) on bikes such as 1962 and 1974 Legnano (long routes) but I did enjoy the rides more on the Bianchi, mainly because of the brakes and gearing choices. It is simply a different choice of bike to ride, not an effort to make any kind of statement.

I have paid more for several other steel bikes that I own, including a Pegoretti, a Colnago and a Co-Motion, but none of those bikes (even the lugged steel ones) seem to draw the ire that this Bianchi does. I say that Bianchi did good by offering this bike, even though it is not for everybody. I am grateful that companies will still try and meet the demand of a niche market. We are all better off because of it, even if we don't buy their product. But the way that a nice looking bike with a classic vibe gets trashed on a classic bike forum seems unnecessary.
How about this, why don't we all just ride what we like to ride and accept that others will do the same. Even if our choices are not the same!