View Single Post
Old 09-27-21, 11:38 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Is yours one of the chrome ones ?

Thats a lot of money to put into a Schwinn thats not a Paramount, but those are fine bicycles from what i recall. Ive spent more than that

Ive spent the most on resto costs on my old DeBernardi because it is a sentimental favorite of mine -- i can only do a rough breakdown but it was

PAint/decals - $550
Wheelset $450
HEadset $105
Cassette - $100
Cranks/shifters $225
Bottom bracket $55
Bar Tape $25
Saddle $65

Thats at $1575 and i had some items in inventory already, like the post, Delta brakeset, bars/stem and tires

I also had my local shop do the assembly work so they could face the headset and bottom bracket area, and string the cables and housing etc -- that was probably another $250 in assembly costs and miscellaneous things ---- so thats up to $1825 for a bicycle i couldnt sell for more than $5 or 600
Rides like a dream though
I think you sell that project short. You would get well more than $500-$600 out of that bike. That is a very well done build.

The way I look at any of these is what would you spend new. Would you be as happy with an $1800 new bike? As soon as you buy and ride that new bike, you won't get anywhere near what you paid for it.* I think it is funny that we think we should get 100% out of what we pay if we build something to ride. I had to get over that myself. Sometimes that is true, but other times it is not. Doing such a build to flip rarely works. I know I approach a "flip" bike very differently than one I intend to keep. If you love it, who cares what you spend.

*Last 12+ months excepted.