View Single Post
Old 01-14-22, 12:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
How confident are you in quick links? I've never used them on road bikes except for emergency repairs. I'm also neglectful of drivetrain maintenance, except for lubing the chain, and tend to let everything get trashed before I replace anything. Plus, I break things, but usually not chains.

I ask because I need to shorten the chain on my Campagnolo equipped bike. I bought a used crankset in September and the shop installed it for me along with a new chain I had and it has shifted like crap and dropped the chain ever since. I just realized the chain is too long when trying to diagnose the bad performance. I don't have a Campagnolo chain tool or an extra pin and was thinking of just using a quick link to shorten it.

Is there a specific quick link for Campagnolo chains? Anyone know if I can put my old 10 speed rings on an 11 speed Chorus crankset? The bcd is the same and they look similar. Instead of spending $100 for a big ring I thought I would try the old one from the cracked crankset and see how it works before dropping more dough into the thing.
The ONLY time a quick link failed me was when I reused the link from a worn out chain on a new one, because some sneaky bastard had stolen the quick link out of that package. It failed while I was going about 35 mph, standing on the pedals to keep momentum up as I climbed out the other side of a dip. I didn't crash, and I went back and recovered the chain, but I had to make The Call Of Shame, which was no big deal because I was 2 miles from home anyway. BTW, I only use KMC chains on anything over 8 speeds, so I don't have the pin issues.

I don't know about using 10 speed rings on 11 speeds, but I do use an 11 speed crank and rings on a 10 speed setup with no issues. Last I knew, Campy's front Ergo is just a ratchet, not indexed at all, so it's not like the spacing is all that important.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: