Old 07-02-22, 12:50 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Day 4: East to Fairport and back, 39.9 miles

The day began with an unpleasant milestone. The first time I didn’t get carded buying wine was bad enough; but on Tuesday, June 21st, 2022, I got my first senior discount, unasked. Ouch.

Some things I won't forget.

Well, one antidote to feeling sorry for myself is to get moving, and I wanted to get back to the canal and see what was to the east of Rochester. Coming out of the city, I went on the eastern bank of the Genesee, through the campus of the University of Rochester. The setting there was more of a haven for wildlife: I think I saw a great blue heron on the riverbank (even if my blurry picture makes it look something like Nessie).

Once again, the pathway just south of the spot where the Genesee and the Erie canal came together felt more industrial and less park-like. It was paved in well-maintained asphalt or concrete, but didn’t have much in the way of scenery. One bit of the commercial world did make me smile, though: REI, the sporting goods store, was right next to the trail. There was even a ramp from the trail to the parking lot.

Parkland started again shortly east of the REI, with manicured grass on one side and the canal on the other. I started to see people walking, jogging, and canoeing. There were spots where the grass was trimmed farther from the pathway to create places to sit, or to welcome passers-by. I’m not sure who put up these welcoming words, but I was glad to see them and sorry that I didn’t have a trinket or painted stone to leave behind.

The text reads: #kindnessrockproject One message at just the right moment can change someone's entire outlook, day or life. Take a rock or leave a rock. They are here for all to enjoy. Then the Kindness Rock Project will thrive and continue to grow.

In between the little towns, houses were built along the south bank, with their own docks for canoes, kayaks, or larger boats. In the towns, where streets crossed the canal, there were parking lots so others could bring their bikes and boats to come out and play.

Given the mast laid across the top, I have to think this boat was headed towards Lake Ontario.

Fairport – where I had hoped to stop for the night on the 2nd day of my trip – also had stream-side parks and restaurants. I stopped under a gazebo in the park and looked at my maps to see if I could get off the canal trail for a while and on to roads to head back towards Rochester. I didn’t want to exactly retrace my steps, and I was getting a bit tired of the “green tunnel” effect along the path. Taking neighborhood roads was easy enough to find my way towards NY Bike Rt 5 – which ran along car Rt 31 – but once I got on a four lane road in 92 degree heat with bright sun baking the blacktop, I scooted back to the trail as quickly as I could. The farthest east this adventure took me was 2 miles east of Fairport: nowhere near Albany, but enough.

Back to Pittsford, then, for lunch. I tried to eat at a “farm to table” restaurant that had a “please come inside to be seated” sign by its outdoor tables, a “please wait to be seated” sign indoors, and – so far as I saw – no staff. After what felt like 5 minutes of waiting, I left. Across the street was a Greek restaurant with tables under patio umbrellas, a way to keep my bike in sight while eating, and actual waitstaff. I had a great meal with fine conversation: at the next table was a couple who asked questions about my bike. When I told them that I had switched from a pedal-only to an ebike, one said “you should get a motorcycle!” We traded stories of riding through the twisties in North Carolina, he on his Harley and me (back in the day) on a BMW.

Dessert was chocolate baklava ice cream. I couldn’t finish it all, but it was wonderful.

On the way back to Rochester, I stopped at that trailside REI. When I didn’t find a place I felt secure chaining the bike, I just brought it inside with me. No one blinked – I must not have been the first.

By the time I got back to the hotel, it was around four in the afternoon. The 39.9 miles I had done in the heat, followed by too much good food, made it feel like naptime. Still, I was able to get myself moving again in time for another evening at the jazz festival. This time, I didn’t listen to the headliners at the biggest outdoor stage. Instead I had an evening of big band music, first with the New Horizons band and then, after their set ended and I got dinner at a food cart, the Rochester Metro Jazz Orchestra. Some of the crowd started swing dancing, and a lovely time was had by all.

The New Horizons band plays a Glen Miller tune.

Spontaneous swing dancing during the RMJO set