Old 09-08-22, 07:02 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't think it would make a good fixed gear bike because you would need to take up slack somehow and the hangar is your only choice with vertical dropouts.
Well, there are the hubs with eccentric axles to give you a smidge of chain take-up. I forget who made those, but I have also just cut the axle flush with the ends of the locknuts, so you get 5 mm of takeup before the skewer hits the inside of the dropout slot. Just make sure your QR is tight since friction is the only thing keeping the axle from moving...
Plus Phil's eccentric BB that fits in a regular threaded BB shell, for a tad more take-up.
Finally there's the FixMeUp computer app that tells you what gear combos will work with a given chainstay length, for people with verticals and no eccentric anywhere.

Not that I'd do any of those things, I hate riding fixed on the road! Did my time, back when you had to ride fixed in the winter to train with certain clubs, but it was only under duress. The freewheel is one of the world's greatest inventions, use it people!

Mark B