3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by pccp
Well that really chaps my hide. I was wondering about that... If it's not compatible they do say I can chop it down and put a campagnolo mounting claw (not sure if thats even the right one though for a modern rd) on it. I'm not entirely opposed to it. A little worried I'll mess it up. Maybe I'll buy the rd and just check it before anything else. I can always sell it.
Just to check again since no one replied to that part of my earlier message.. I can use an 8 speed rd on my current 6 speed right?
...the simplest approach to changing out the rear derailleur on a bike with Simplex (presuming you don't want to pay the exhorbitant prices asked for the Simplex used long cage ones on ebay), is to go with a Shimano Crane or a Shimano Titlist in the long cage versions. They both sork about the same, but the Crane has slightly better finish, and is lighter in weight. They have an integral stop washer that will grab the Simplex dropout on the edges. Then you just need to enlarge the 9mm hole to10mm, and therad it with a 10mm fine thread tap. then it bolts right in. But your bike is new enough that it might be originally made with a Campagnolo style dropout. I can't tell from your pictures.

I still would not do this project, because it's starting to sound like some real money in parts.

Those Stronglight cranks are worth money to someone else in the C+V world, who is more interested in originality than you. It's considered a nicer French crank.