View Single Post
Old 08-01-16, 12:26 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Today I converted my Peloton's FSA triple carbon crank to a double via chain ring removal and a 109.5mm Octalink BB. The primary motive for this was the Q-factor was wide enough (156mm) that it would always bother me. So that issue was solved, the FD re-tuned. Chain line looks a lot better, and the double crank setup looks sexy.

Unfortunately, my rear wheel decided to not stay put in the drops, a problem that I've NEVER had running 130 OLD axles in it up to this point (external and internal cam QRs). Moderate power or more--no dice. I was planning on visiting some bike shops via bicycle in the area (meaning hills as well as distance) and burned nearly an hour trying to rectify the situation over many tries. I was absolutely furious. I wanted to ride that bike but I had to take the car because I wanted to get places before closing. My (stupid) rear wheel will need to be re-trued now, and I will try Shimano QR skewers and see what happens. Poor Pele'. I will make her better!

Progress continues on the Super Sport! The Sugino 120mm offset BB (spindle-wise) works with the Sugino AS crankset to make a decently narrow Q-factor of 144mm. Throw on some Shimano 600 cranks (6206 or 6400) and the Q-factor is 153/155mm--the very amount I was trying to avoid. My Cannondale's setup with a presumably 110mm spindle and 7400 cranks yields a 140mm measurement which I have no problem with. So I need to find a new narrow JIS BB, which should be easy and pretty cheap, thankfully.

I think Suntour was really onto something with hidden and/or integrated springs on their brake calipers. I picked up Superbe Pro calipers with this feature (great shape, good price) and they are gorgeous. Not to mention their sprung movement is exquisitely smooth. And after finding a newer lower end set of Suntour calipers, it looks like they kept the idea going for a bit. Superbe Pro levers (killer deal, road rash, oh well!!) are hooded and mounted. Now to string up everything brakes-wise. This should give me a really good idea of how the bike will look (aka, oh so very nice).