View Single Post
Old 08-20-22, 11:08 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Thought I'd show my face here again, post Covid (we all wish) but I've avoided it fortunately. Hope you've all got through this.

But I can't avoid the crashes! I've had lots in the last few years, mainly on the cycle path, and lots of near disasters on the road.
The roads! Busier than ever; a new breed of driver proliferates. Youngsters, always in a hurry, driving Mercs and Beamers as well as those plying the cycleways on electric scooters, bikes, and even motorbikes, plying their trade swiftly and efficiently, avoiding the Police.
Intimidation is their game, and its no joke when you're getting on in years.
Yesterday I nearly bought it. Turning right onto a major thoroughfare road, nothing coming. I'd not completed my turn when I bacame aware of a red car, from the left, almost upon me. I turned out of his way, to meet another red car facing me. I stopped the bike amidst the blaring of horns. Both cars managed to avoid me.
Where did they spring from? Am i now seeing what's not there, and not seeing what is?
For the first time in my life, I find myself afraid to venture onto the roads where I live.
Thank goodness for spinning bike classes!
But it's great to get on a real bike - when its quiet!

Keep safe.