View Single Post
Old 11-09-22, 12:42 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Because they presume it's a bit like plastic maybe? To be fair I've seen plenty of carbon failures from inappropriate loading (usually from clamping to bike racks). The typical pencil thin seat stays you often see on modern road bikes are also easily prone to damage from everyday knocks. I'm always very careful when leaning my bikes up not to catch those on sharp edges of walls etc.
I'm as carefull handling my steel, aluminum and carbon bikes because I don't want any of them to get dented or scratched by careless use. Such care prevents any damage to the carbon bike just like the others.The titanium bikes I'm equally careful of by habit, but I'm not nearly as worried about scratching.
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Good idea.
But... I wanted to "count" the failures during normal use, and the km or time period until the failure occurred. That might give a more practical perspective over the lifespan of a carbon bike for common users - as opposite to many articles that mix normal usage, poor construction, crashes, misuses and abuses - etc, to come up with a general and useless conclusion that, yes, carbon bikes fails, so you should replace your bike with a new one from time to time, for safety reasons...
Huh, whaaaat? you expect any sort of useable information?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm not sure you will get any meaningful data on this beyond anecdotal stories. ...
"not sure", more like "no way".

Originally Posted by Koyote
Who are these "many users"?
Similar to what we've heard a lot in public statements and speeches "many people are saying..."

Last edited by Camilo; 11-09-22 at 12:48 AM.
Likes For Camilo: