View Single Post
Old 12-03-22, 12:53 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Crossing in the crosswalk is the only thing that makes sense. Assuming the press release is correct in the description.
Not making any assumptions as to the facts of this incident or fault, But,

I witnessed a situation where a cyclist crossed in a crosswalk maybe like the cyclist in this incident - "against" the traffic in the adjacent lane. The cyclist I witnessed rode against a "don't walk" sign (which was controlling the sidewalk/bikepath) without even slowing. A car with a green light was turning right and was looking left for traffic, and the cyclist blew through the crosswalk from the driver's right. Yea, I know drivers need to be vigilant, but I could understand this happening even to careful drivers. The car hit the cyclist, or should I say the cyclist hit the car - hit the quarter panel and slid over the hood. Fortunately, there was minor damage and injury.

We have no idea for sure if the cyclist was actually in a crosswalk (although it seems that he was, given the scant details we have seen), and/or if a pedestrian signal was even involved pro- or con.

It would be very nice if the report of the incident were clearer. But without more details of the lay out of the incident and eye witnesses for the signals involved, it's hard to say if the scenario with a cross walk and Don't Walk - or Walk - sign is relevant, but it's something I'd like to know.

I fear this will get responses that I'm being an apologist for poor, dangerous driving. Again, not trying to make assumptions, or assign fault. It's just my imagination and experience trying to make sense of what was described. It is an awful tragedy and I hope that if the facts warrant, the driver is prosecuted fully.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-03-22 at 12:58 AM.