Old 11-01-21, 11:15 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 713 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, you'd have both - a cycling computer that does a better job as a cycling computer and a phone that's reserved for phone stuff - and the pros/cons have been re-hashed enough times on the road forum; we don't need to go over them again, but feel free to look 'em up. Suffice to say that there are a lot of good reasons that dedicated computers exist and you'll probably find some of them yourself, as your cycling habits change.

Also, and I mean no offense, but I take it that you haven't ridden with a proper fitting jersey? Getting a phone out isn't an onerous task, and I'd hardly describe it as "digging."

At the end of the day, you do you, but you're looking for an inelegant (IMO) solution to a problem that many have already solved.
yep, i’ve read all the debates. i’m open to trying a computer again at some point, but the convenience of having my primary device right there in front of me at all times to look at, or not, is just a huge advantage for me. since my bike transmits all the “bike computer” type data (power, cadence, speed, etc) via bluetooth to the phone app, and i don’t ride in the rain… the advantages of the computer end up relatively few, again, for my particular use case. leaving the phone at home and riding just with an apple watch and a bike computer would be interesting.

i didn’t mean to imply that it was hard to remove a phone from a jersey pocket. i meant that it takes a lot longer and takes way more control away from the bars than just tapping “decline” on a device which is solidly mounted to the bike. my level of skill certainly doesn’t allow taking the phone out and looking at it / using it while riding if it’s not attached to the bike.