View Single Post
Old 03-29-19, 12:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I feel like having cranks proportional in some way to a person's leg length is a good starting point, but it's part of a larger formula that has yet to be fully mapped out.

Here's my data: my rando bike has a standover height of 32.5", and I can *just* stand over it barefoot, so I figure that gets pretty close to what I'd get with a book and tape measure against the wall. Dividing my preferred crank length of 165mm by that gets me a ratio of 5.08. Perhaps there's something to my femur-to-tibia ratio, or something with my feet that leads me to prefer shorter cranks, I'm not sure.

P.S. Now that you bring up BB height, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason for the industry standardizing on 170mm cranks is to fix that aspect of frame manufacture, rather than needing to offer a zillion more frames with varying BB heights. If a bike company were sympathetic to the need for a wider range of crank lengths, perhaps they could scale the BB height with the frame size. Maybe some makers do already...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 03-29-19 at 12:40 PM.