View Single Post
Old 07-07-22, 09:21 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
As a cyclist and as a pedestrian, before starting to make any crossing, I check the traffic to see what it's doing. Too often, I see drivers race to make their right turn just as I step off the curb. In this case, it would have looked as if the truck was going straight not knowing it was making a wide right. Was its right turn signal on? Pedestrians and cyclists should have seen this signal if it had been flashing. I can't say if it were me caught in the middle of crossing, if I had reacted in time even if I did see a signal.

As a driver, when I approach intersections I check if there are pedestrians. And especially if there is a bike lane, I check for cyclists I had passed along the way and any at the intersection.

In the video, it does look as if the cyclists were starting their move right after the sedan had made its turn. That means, the cyclists must have had their signal. This was at the same instant the truck driver also entered the intersection. The truck driver should have seen the cyclists waiting at the intersection AND should have been aware of the cyclists/pedestrian signal. Not only that, anybody making a right turn on a green light HAS to check for pedestrians crossing. So it looks like the truck driver was racing to make his turn as I've seen so many times before by other drivers.

But having stated all that, I notice something puzzling. When the sedan made its turn, it looked like it did it on a green because other traffic in the same direction was also going. So was the cycling/pedestrian light red? In Toronto, pedestrian and cyclist lights are given a priority 5 second advance before car traffic lights turn green. So for any motor vehicle turning right, it would already be seeing pedestrians in the intersection before the vehicles can proceed. That doesn't look like the case in this Victoria intersection.

Last edited by Daniel4; 07-07-22 at 09:32 AM.