View Single Post
Old 10-07-22, 10:21 PM
ThunderOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I like the enclosed dropouts of the All City Super Professional or the Otso Warakins. I don't like the other dropouts I have seen but I am one of those people who is unlikely to majorly change a set up on a bike from geared to single speed or vice versa. The only reason I would do that is for some sort of crazy do-it-all bike I have thought about on occasions but probably wouldn't ever build because currently SRAM is the only full wireless drivetrain and I would refuse to run DOT fluid brakes and it is a lot of work to remove the shifty bobs and put them back on.
Love SRAM. Hate that they use DOT brake fluid. Matter of fact, just bled the brakes on my Wife's 9er this morning. Have to have two separate bleed kits because I have TRP brakes which, like Shimano, use mineral oil. Ugh! Plus DOT fluid is so bad for everything it touches. SRAM should have thought that out a little more.

Looking at those two examples you mentioned, I like them a lot. They seem like a solid choice. Thanks for sharing that!

In researching reviews on the TRP Hylex RS brakes (which are my choice now for brakes, I stumbled upon this setup https://road.cc/content/review/26231...ylex-rs-brakes.

Incredibly large photo below (not sure why it is so large)

Brake Tension Design by Dward

Now, this makes me wonder. Moving the axle forward and back to get the proper chain tension doesn't effect the disc and disc brake pad contact? I hadn't thought about this before. It appears it may be OK if they are making disc brakes for singlespeed bikes I suspect. This is the beginning of my research into building up a singlespeed bike so I am not sure about that.

Thanks again for posting your thoughts on chain tensioning options.
Likes For ThunderOne: