Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
New year, new plan.

I was tearing down my '72 Gitane Interclub yesterday to take it in for a frame repair thanks to someone putting one of those old steel hardware store kickstands on it then using an impact wrench to tighten it (only a slight embellishment). The bottoms of the chainstays right behind the BB shell are slightly crushed. You can't see it and it doesn't effect the ride but I know it's there and it's driving me nuts so I'm going to spend more than the bike is worth to get it fixed but I like the bike, logic be damned. As I was tearing it down it hit me this woud be the perfect try out for a single speed. It has NO braze ons, it rides great but has zero collector value and about half the original drivetrain has been replaced already so it's not original. Since all the cable guides and stops are bolt ons it leaves a nice clean frame and if I decided a single speed wasn't for me I just bolt all the hardware and drivetrain of my choice back on and go on my way. It was getting a repaint and new decals anyway before I decided to have the chainstays repaired so there won't be any paint shadows from the old hardware either. Gotta keep those Mafac Racer brakes though, now if somebody would just reproduce the hoods for them.

I'm not into the SS or FG thing myself, but if I was, your logic that everything is undoable by replacing the stops and clamps seems sound.

I just highlighted and colored red the things that are inline with my thoughts on spending money on an old bike. I'm over here enjoying the wrenching and riding. Not making investments.