Old 08-11-22, 10:56 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3429 Post(s)
Liked 2,817 Times in 1,717 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
You of course to misread my comments (as well as only quoting part of them).
Again, I don't understand the necessity to quote entire posts, when I am addressing only parts of them. Am I not allowed to only address parts of posts?

Here is what I am confident that you know. If a customer came into a your shop to buy a bike and needed a tall stem to fit a bike (say a Nitto technomic), you would have suggested that the buyer look at a somewhat larger bike since that would avoid the unnecessary expense of the stem and labor involved and the fact that the customer needed such a tall stem suggests that perhaps a somewhat larger bike makes sense for the buyer. So that is just common sense from your experience as well as mine.
Your presented scenario makes little sense to me. "A customer comes in to buy a bike and needs a taller stem?" Why would they think they need a taller stem right off the bat, without even having bought a bike? But whatever. After drilling down to find their preferred or hoped-for riding style and circumstances (for this exercise we'll say they want a road bike, as opposed to a MTB), I would have first properly assessed what I believe the proper bike size would be for them, using available bikes in the store to get them on a frame that I believed would be the best size, explaining to them my reasoning along the way. I'd adjust the saddle height for proper leg extension. I'd then let them take a test ride on an appropriately-sized frame. If they said the size felt fine, but they felt too hunched over (or something like that), then I would tell them that taller or longer stems are available. I certainly wouldn't suggest, initially, that a taller frame was a solution, but if they insisted, I would of course let them test ride a larger frame, with my caveat that it was likely the incorrect size for them. I'd leave the final decisions up to the customer. So no, the way you suggest things be done would certainly not have been my way.

I agree with you that this is one piece of evidence and you have to look at the person on the bike to get a better idea of the right size.
It's a very small, to me almost insignificant, piece of "evidence."

To state that a tall stem is absolutely not an indication that perhaps the OP could use a somewhat larger bike is non-sense in that it runs contrary to how I am confident you sold and fitted bikes back in the day. It might be but that also depends on all the other factors you pointed out.
I did not size or sell bikes based on stem height.

It is deeply puzzling to me that you took such a crazy hard line against this common sense observation. The bottom line is that I doubt we are very far apart in our observations and how we fit bikes.
Don't be puzzled. You and I see things way differently.