gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
He's obviously riding the correct size frame.
From the OP:
"My nice bike is 56/56, 73/73 with 650b and it fits quite nicely and looks proportionate."
56cm is a 22" frame. Schwinn Voyageur SP in 1982 came in 2" increments.

If the OP wants to ride a Schwinn Voyageur SP in this vintage, 21" is probably the best frame size. If Schwinn had made a 22", that would probably be better. @Doug Fattic's detailed analysis is spot on if you're looking to optimize fit for the OP.

Is it the "right" size"? "My recently purchased Schwinn VSP is a fun ride. Nimble with nothing in the bags, yet planted and comfortable when the bags are filled with groceries." Sounds like he's happy with it, even if it's not optimal.

"I’m trying to figure out why this bike looks small though it fits perfectly the way it is set up." It looks small because we're used to seeing frames BITD without super long stems, so yes, it looks small.

Should the OP ride a bigger frame? Well, if Doug Fattic or most any reputable frame builder were to make the OP a custom frame, I'd bet it would be somewhere around 22". So, yes, it's smaller than ideal.

I think the solution is for the OP to buy another bike, but that's my standard recommendation for anybody, anytime.