Old 08-13-22, 07:02 AM
gmcjetpilot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I have no help. But I have questions that this thread has gave me. What is the purpose of sending the fork back to Bianchi?.
Great question. I was wondering as well, but this is the story.

Short story, there was a 1990 recall on my fork which I was not aware of. I went to restore my bike which I bought new in or around 1983. Researching my bike I found the recall. I called Bianchi and they answered and wanted the fork back. Why? Liability? Bill the Gent I talk to at Bianchi was not aware of any ever breaking, but they just wanted the fork off the streets. They can't force me. Yes they compensated me. I got a discount on a new bike..

Long story: Bianchi is one of the oldest bike companies and they strand by their product, 1 yr old or 40 yrs old. In my case there was a RECALL on the fork back in 1990. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1990/bi...nneur-bicycles. I bought this bike in New Orleans, new, about 1983, which I believe was the first year for Randonneur.. This was a top end bike at the time and recall paying about $400 in early 80's money, about $1000 in todays dollar, when a department store Huffy cost $80. The Randonneur frame I have was hand made in Italy, double butted, you know classic vintage. The frame and forks were made from "Mangaloy". This was a proprietary steel magnesium alloy. I don't think this alloy had anything to do with fork issue, but could have? This is guessing they had some quality issue on the early forks and it could or did lead to a crack. Talking to Bill he has never heard of one cracking. But speculation is possibility of crack, but no actual failure occurred. As I understand it Bianchi brought the recall on their self, volunteered. A fork breaking while going fast, not a good thing. I assume in 1990 Bianchi had forks to replace them and would pay to have them installed. However now over 30 yrs later this fork is no longer available by decades. .I am sure there are many recall forks out there. Considering I rode my bike 10 to 15 miles a day almost every day for years, and my forks seemed fine, the recall is a mystery. I go back to Bianchi stands behind their bike.

Sentimental Story, so yes I was surprised to hear all this. NOT all Ranadonneur's are affected. Apparently later ones are OK, and if the fork crown has a big "B" on it, the fork is not affected. Since mine was an early one they wanted the fork off the streets. I got a good deal on a new bike, Via Nirone 7 Sora, Alum frame, carbon forks. Do not get me wrong, LOVE the new bike but it is not my Randonneur, which I bought and rode the heck out of in college, when I was a young guy. Now an old fart I am sentimental about it. I think it is beautiful,classic. So Bianchi let me keep the bike, minus fork. It looks like I will be able to buy a generic "crowned" fork, 1" steerer, 27" rim. The headtube length as with most universal forks are made to cut down and thread steerer as needed. The cantilever brake is harder to find with the other specs, but some custom work, welding on pivots would work. Or just convert to caliper brakes on the front, easiest but loss of originality. I have a hard time throwing this bike away. I once had a dream of touring Europe on it long ago, staying at youth hostels. The Randonneur is made for touring, with front and back blackburn racks. I will tour Europe in the future (actually lived there as a kid, USAF brat), but any future touring of Europe will be be in or on a motor vehicle, plane, train, bus, motorcycle or automobile and staying at nice hotels. Getting old sucks but having money to travel is not bad. Ha ha.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; 08-13-22 at 05:42 PM.
Likes For gmcjetpilot: