View Single Post
Old 08-14-22, 01:44 PM
misctrader

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts
Woke feeling somewhat gloomy. Didn’t feel like riding my bike like I hoped I would but got myself out the door and had a good time. The feeling of adventuring on a bike is a liberating feeling, the only thing that holds you back is yourself.

I ventured to the Bass Lake dam as I was curious what lay beyond all the dirt roads in the area. I traversed down a steep winding dirt road. The road dead ends on a creek that is down stream of the dam. I saw a faint trail in the brush running alongside the creek and decided to follow it rather than pedaling back up the steep descent I came from—because why not? Shortly there after, the trail was reclaimed by mother nature. I decide to forge my own path, knowing that I’m going in the right direction, even if there isn’t a path. I lug my bike on my shoulder, and commence to follow the creek upstream. I walk over fallen trees; the berry bushes caress my legs with their thorns; the leaves and twigs snap as I proceed, and the water in the creek soothingly makes its way downstream. The obstacles ahead intensify. I see a vast array of granite boulders that adorn the valley I’m in, and off in the distance the dam I came through. Unfazed, I continue. Akin to a mountain goat, I slowly tread up the rocks. I single-handedly climb up the rocks—no pun intended. I eventually make it out and come out on a road just below the dam that goes to a flume. Curious once again I make my way through these unknown paths, exploring what lays ahead.

There were several forks in the road, each gets my attention. Soon I come across one that leads to the flume and with a trail just beside it heading down to the creek. Once I reach the creek I realize that just across the creek is the start of the trail I had walked up. If I come down that dirt road again I’ll try and cross the creek next time, it would definitely be more convenient. I went home shortly after this.

On my ride home around the lake I had two insights: 1) You don’t need to have the best equipment to have fun, and 2) sometimes going down your own path is more satisfying than taken the same beaten path everyone typically takes, there will be obstacles but its part of the experience as long as your on the right track don’t doubt your self and enjoy it.

Anyways that's how my morning ride went.

Didn't take any pictures today, but here is one from few weeks ago of the bike I was on. Mid-eighties Cimarron with drop bars and gravel king tires.

Last edited by misctrader; 08-14-22 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Grammar