Old 05-11-16, 01:27 PM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Creaking sounds are often the spokes rubbing against each other at the crossing. After a while they will tend to wear a groove where they rub. Try squeezing a couple spokes together near the cross. Sounds can also emanate from the nipples or the heads in the spoke holes. Does it sound like something between a frog croak and a cricket chirp?

By quick guesstimation sounds like you got maybe 10,000 miles on these wheels? Honestly that's about what I usually get AFA useful life out of a wheel anyway. At that time it's typically time for a rebuild: new rims, new spokes.

Of course it's possible that something is happening with your hubs. I got a set last time VO had a sale, but I haven't built them yet. Seems like they are pretty simple with little to go wrong. I guess you could take it apart and apply anti seize compound between any parts you might suspect, and see if that does anything. Also inspect carefully for cracks. If you don't find any, then IMO you don't have anything to worry about structurally.
Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Just got the wheel back from the shop where they really went through it, whatever that means. No sound for about a mile and then it slowly comes back. After five miles totally there, creaking away again. It sounds crunchy and not unlike crushing a paper bag but with a different tone. The quick change from no sound to sound leads me toward a failed nipple or something that gets loose. When I swapped the wheel I didn't swap out the larger (big apple) tire. I guess I'll swap out the tire and wheel this time just to be sure it's not something to do with the racks, etc. But I guess I should bring it back to the builder and see if it's time for new spokes/rim. I do have about 10,000 miles on the wheels, maybe a bit less, but I'm used to getting more miles than that out of a wheel. But I usually re-purpose vintage MTB stuff for commuting and ride quality 80s-90s stuff, first "new" set of wheels in years.