Old 05-02-17, 08:18 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by freesafety22
some quick basic questions please and then i'll link that image (thanks for the heads up).

i have 9 cogs in the cassette and obviously 2 chain rings. how do i know to call it a ten or eleven speed?
also, what does the "B" stand for on the chainring/crank? is this a shimano designation?
You have a 9-speed bike (9 in back with 2 in front so 2x9 = 18 total choices). 10 and 11-speed bikes have respective 10 or 11 cogs in back. You don't. The "B" designation is Shimano's notation for matched sets of chainrings. It isn't essential but it improves shifting under load.

so given i don't have the compact chainring (actually curious as to what the smaller diameter (?) chainrings would do for me...) - i think i do need more help on the hills. i mean, i tend to be a masher and ride by myself. but i've noticed having help on the hills with this bike would be good. also, i do see the guys doing high cadences and i've gotten curious lately about this but it is probably another post.
A "compact crank" has a 110 mm bolt circle diameter (BCD) and will accept chainrings down to 33 teeth but more commonly come with a 34T small chainring. A standard road crank has a 130 mm BCD and will take a 38T chainring minimum with 39T being more common. Smaller chainrings give lower gears like larger cogs and make climbing easier.

am i looking for this cassette assuming i am not too worried about closely spaced gearing? i mean i LIKE having the ability to finely tune a ride when i am mashing up a hill or standing in the pedals but i think i would like more the ability to get out into some hills again (assuming i can stay with the routine and get acclimated to the weather again).

besides i can always switch back to a new version of what i have now (the 12 - 25 i think - with no B i guess?.

HG500[/B], the same as a 11-28

THANK YOU
My comments are in red above.