View Single Post
Old 10-23-19, 09:46 PM
badgnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
That is a pretty spectacular failure. Can you get pictures all the way around it? Im curious what the hole separation looks like.

Let us know what happens on whether or not you get a replacement. If not - find someone that can TIG weld. A lot of people that work on cars TIG weld, you don't necessarily need to go to a specialized fab shop. Depending on what the metal is on the frame having appropriate filler material available for whoever to do the work would speed things up. If it is Chromoly steel and a place just has a filler for mild steel, for example, it will "work" but isn't the best solution. For that kind of repair I'd make sure it was done with the right material.

Torch welding is another option. That's real old school - but it can work well. Same as with TIG, though - you need proper filler.
The bike is already at the shop. The warranty manager was going to be away for a couple days so I got it in before then. I told him it was my main bike and he said he would try to expedite it.

There is a custom frame builder in town, maybe they could weld it:
https://www.chumbausa.com/made-in-usa-road-bikes