WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Trek 520 with issues

I am looking at building up a tourer and this one while needing work might be a good base to start from. Alternatively it might be a parts bike.

Was over $250 (can't recall price then), the $250 and now $200

Per Ad (spelling is seller's)
"2009? Trek 520 Touring bike. The Frame is solid, wheels & bags. It does need new seat and bottom bracket. Other then that this is a good bike to go out west east or werever. I will consider best offers. Also comes with extra tires, chain and cassette."

I'm not worried about the saddle. I have spares.

I emailed seller and asked about the need for a new BB (why it was need?). I asked does it need new cranks as well? I asked what the gearing was and what model drivetrain as I don't know the crank model, etc. I asked what size the frame was and if the seatpost and bar stem were seized.
Seller replied, "Takes my breath away. The most are answered in the ad. I'm 5'11. Inseam 32". 11-36 pn bike. Chain on 2nd is cut for spare 11-34. As far as I know the I fell twice this year with fully loaded and it probably weakened it. The bags are in good shape. The BB I have no idea its a hollow tech. But you might need change hole unit. I emailed again and said I got the approximate size of the frame (I'm 6'1") so might be close to my height as it is. I said I got that it was an 11-36 rear but that I wanted to know what speed was the rear - 7 speed, 8 speed, 9 speed, etc and that I could see from photos that it was a triple crank but what type of crank was it and gave an example (i.e. - 52/44/22)? I asked what seller meant by "As far as I know the I fell twice this year with fully loaded and it probably weakened it." So I asked what was weakened? Lastly I asked what seller meant by "The BB I have no idea its a hollowtech. But you might need change hole unit" In the ad it had said it needs a new BB, so I asked do cranks need replacing as well? I then realized seller hadn't answered if the seat post and stem were seized so I re-emailed on that. My question: Is there any real value in what seller has here?? I can see scrapes on the rear basket which are consistent with a fall. Does anyone see any other concerns? I have to drive over an hour each way just to look at this one.

I'll post the remaining ad photos next as total is 11 and can only post 10 at once.