View Single Post
Old 06-17-21, 03:34 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
You are required to register on the Medicare site when you turn 65, or a couple months before. You do not get drug coverage for free and if you don't have drug coverage you will pay a monthly fine if you do get it later. You can get a Medicare Advantage plan from an insurance company which covers drugs and co-pays, it's a good deal and there are a lot to choose from.

When I retired I was 65 but my "full retirement" age was 66. I worked part of that year and made $23k. At the time the penalty was they would subtract $1 from my payment for every $2 I made over $17k. This goes away in the year of my "full retirement" age, which was the next year. I didn't work that year anyway.
The other consideration is if you collect SS while working you may have to pay taxes on it. I think this also goes away at some point.
Well, the one thing that seems very clear is that there is no percentage in taking benefits early if you are still working. Your tax bill would go up, you would pay a penalty, and your future benefits would be reduced.