Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Its a mixed bag in my opinion but generally positive.
Advent X works really well, have it on one of the kid's bikes.
Advent by comparison was less impressive, I found the shifting was harder to dial in and not as consistent as Advent X.
R9 rear der has rust issues, have it on a 20" kid's bike and the shifting steadily got worse as the rust got worse around the pivots and the spring. After 3 years it was tossed for an older used ultegra and the difference was obvious.
R10 rear der does not share this issue and works well.
R8, 9, 10 shifters all work well in my experience. I've swapped them onto several bikes, usually to replace shimano claris. The result was easier and more consistent shifting. Would always take microshift shifters over claris or sora.
But their cheap stuff can be really cheap, just built some bikes for a LBS with microshift m26 shifters and der, they worked, but not well. Probably better than tourney but not certain I'd take it over altus. Reminded me of the old, plastic sram parts.
Good stuff, but you've got to buy their more expensive stuff for the best results.
good rundown on their line. i work with a lot of older bikes and shimano has abandoned that market, good to know that microshift works well with 7,8,9 speed bicycles. we can all hope that shimano will discover that it is best to repair old equipment than land fill bicycles.

Last edited by Duo; 07-08-22 at 07:58 PM.