View Single Post
Old 10-02-22, 03:08 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogester
I live in Seattle and regularly ride through the city. I haven’t noticed a huge increase in traffic but notice there are way more Uber/Lyft/door dash types of cars on the road. These are the worst types of drivers and you really need to be aware of them. Their focus is not on driving safely. They will suddenly stop in the middle of the road, flip u-turns without notice, and have little regard to anything other than getting to their next job.
Regular drivers also exhibit a lot of these stupid habits. I see people stopping in the middle of the road or at lights, staring down at their phones, obviously looking at directions or something. Ebikes don’t bother me too much. I still pass most of them….except on the hills!
Same here and I completely agree. Traffic has steadily increased throughout the years, and things continue in that direction with the increasing number of out of state plates. Uber/Lyft/etc drivers are unpredictable and dangerous as I witness their movements either on my bike or in my car. A lowering of general car IQ (a knock-on effect of perhaps an overall lowering of IQ or simply not caring as much) is also present--in state and out of state drivers.

E-bike riders kinda sorta follow rules, though I've come across a couple lately with Air Pods in and riding literally wherever they want around slow traffic and going the opposite way, in my one-way protected bike lane.

For this and a number of other reasons, I am looking to move out of the city. It's a beautiful area, and I love looping over to Magnolia and Discovery Park at the end of the day.

As this all relates to C&V, it's a big reason why I have really good brakes and indexed shifting on these old birds as it increases the safety factor. I'm almost always biking around in normal clothes these days, so that wardrobe plus a taupe/brown Trek 720 with plenty of silver components, I think, helps balance the "I'm not a Mega Serious Rapha Trendy Sunglasses Carbon Bro" riders out there who often will blow lights or act without regard to other (not that normal people on bikes are innocent). I may be tall, but me and my bike don't scream "over-aggression" to drivers and everyone else. I also work to communicate my intentions (signaling) or thankfulness (like if they don't dart out in front of me from a driveway) or waving them through when it's their turn at an intersection. I have had overwhelming success in not being honked at or hated on when engaging other people. Smiles and gestures of humility. It all helps maintain our humanity, even if at times I still have to raise my voice to tell someone it's their turn to go or just to herd the metal and rubber cattle.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: