cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
The picture of your bike in a protected lane. I'd ballpark it at about 6-foot wide. Your average person on a regular bike is plooting along at 10mph. Any class ebike it takes zero effort to double that. Not a lot of space to pass in the lane you show. People, especially merkins, have zero tolerance for slow-moving vehicles. So you don't see that mix as a problem?
Thanks for giving me the "one specific protected bike lane is not wide enough, therefore this fear should be good enough to dismiss them entirely" checkbox on the bingo card.

Frankly, I don't care if a city can't be bothered to make a protected bike lane wide enough at this point in time, provided the lane is otherwise well designed and part of a connected network that gets people riding. Cities, politicians, and those 'merkins you speak of are reactionary creatures that won't do jack about improving a protected bike lane until enough people are using it - so even the narrow PBL is far better than no PBL, because at least it'll provide the safe place that will get rider numbers up enough to warrant expansion.

P.S.: Us locals manage to do side-by-side well enough in our new - and narrow - Downtown protected bike lane network. Yes, it'd be nicer if it were wider, but with all the red tape and our firmly car-centric traffic engineers - not to mention corrupt City of Miami commissioners who tried to steal it's codified funding* - it's a miracle it even exists.

Let me tell you too, lots of us are DAMN GLAD to have it too, and would be more than glad to shout you into a corner of the room at the suggestion that since it's not wide enough, it's not worthy of existence.

Some families are using it for the morning school run too, which helps to reduce the pile of intolerant parents in their cars trying to run over everyone else's kids. Go tell them that their protected bike lane isn't good enough for your standards and should be ripped out until one of your caliber can be installed - just in time for the kid's college graduation:

*More on that attempted theft of the funding:

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-02-22 at 09:17 PM.
Likes For cudak888: