Old 01-15-23, 07:11 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is a lower end Schwinn I am sure people collect them but it has stem shifters, "safety levers" and a Hi Tensile steel fork it is not worth a ton of money and in the end could provide a bike for someone. When a bike has to highlight "brand name components" not a good sign of a great collector machine.
People get nostalgic about bikes from their youth, even if they were W*mart specials. Safety levers were required by law so can be more a measure of the bikes' vintage than their desirability. And yes, when there are stickers proudly proclaiming "18 speed SIS" you know it's not going to be the greatest, but basic specification didn't stop us from having fun BITD.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would just leave the bikes alone get them functional lubricated and give them to people who could use them. If you have parts on hand that you are willing to donate to the cause then yeah convert them but don't spend much money on them just a little in labor and maybe some chemicals or minor stuff as needed.
Agreed - if they're going to be donated I'd just get them working properly, not worth the effort of "upgrading". Could be that someone prefers a "racer" to a mountain bike shaped object anyway.