Old 01-16-23, 01:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
Thanks for all the replies. I was considering this change firstly just because I want to have the experience of doing it. Secondly, this bike, as it is now seems small to me. I am 5' 5" so I assume shorter than the average person who might end up with these. I know you can't "cure" an improper frame size by these types of changes, but I think raising the bars and seat would improve it somewhat. Also, many of the homeless I see are juggling possessions etc. and I think the drop bars would add to the awkwardness. I do have a bike co-op close by where I can probably get the levers cheaply, especially now that the shifters won't have to be changed.

Does anyone know offhand what size bars these use? I can take them off first and measure, but I may want to go to the co-op first. Online I see a lot of 25.4. I assume you would just measure the diameter of the bars where they fit into the stem?
why would drop bars add awkwardness? I don't get that thinking at all. If anything keeping the drop bars might reduce chances of theft because so many people don't think they are as good as they are.

I have helped at a bike charity off and on for years and that work would not be something they would invest time in, when you have a totally functioning bike ready to go, better to invest the time in other areas

certainly can't cure a small bike with bars and a flat bar would make no difference in reach, while a north style bar would reduce reach.