View Single Post
Old 07-29-17, 08:13 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3792 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Yes, we know that. So what? With high intensity comes an increase in lactate as well as muscle burn and fatigue. There is useful training information that can be had by measuring lactate during exercise. Just because it's a fuel source doesn't mean that people are going to suddenly enjoy training at high lactate levels. It doesn't work that way.
I'm not even sure what you're addressing here, since I never said anything about measuring lactate during exercise; I know there's some use to it. And I don't care what people enjoy or don't enjoy, that was never my concern. Many people think that exercise should always be enjoyable and never exceed 70% of maximum heart rate. They're absolutely wrong, but I don't care.

So your real beef is with Maffetone's approach to training? I haven't read his book but it doesn't sound like he's perpetrating any myths here: https://philmaffetone.com/lactate-update/
As I said, my beef was with very out-dated information on lactate (which I hear over and over again...which leads to frustration), not with Maffetone's approach to training, simply because I'm not sure what his training method is, since I just started reading the book. That website seems to be in direct contradiction to what I've started reading, so at least it looks like he's getting up to date with the science. Albeit he makes a few minor mistakes, but I'll say it's a big improvement over what I'm reading.