akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Praxis
I would like a helmet mirror that doesn't get loose so quickly. I've seen this thread for suggestions on repair. I currently have a Cycleaware. I tried threadlocker, but it isn't helping. I don't want to buy a new mirror (or parts) every year if I can avoid it.

I'd like a helmet or eyeglass mirror that can be removed and replaced easily (for helmet stowage) and doesn't get loose so fast. I've seen the ones that stick on the lens, but don't know how great that would be (and I have a few different lenses for my glasses, and they may not fit). Any suggestions? My mirror went from "moves only at 30+ mph" to "moves in strong winds" to "flops around uselessly".

Alternatively, additional repair suggestions wouldn't hurt but it seems like this model just is engineered this way (for what are probably safety reasons).
I used to have this problem with the third eye, eye glasses mirror but now I simply put epoxy on the joints, then adjust it while riding and the epoxy is still pliable. When the epoxy sets you never have to adjust it again. The other alteration I've made to the Third Eye is I cut off the three prongs you use to attach it to the eye glasses and use small zip ties instead. This holds the mirror much more securely than the three prongs. To remove just slip the zip ties off the front and back of the third eye "rail", remove the third eye and then slip them off the back of the eyeglass temple. Reverse to install the mirror (this won't work if you have eyeglasses where the temples thicken at the ends).