View Single Post
Old 12-08-18, 11:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
It seems internet reviews of Clean Ride are all over the place. One guy find he needs to apply it every 40 miles....max. I think the best way to find out the facts is simply to trial the stuff. That's what I'm doing. I did a second ride of 20 mi yesterday. After my last gravel ride of 30 mi, I just wiped the chain with a rag. Very little dirt was collected by the rag. Then I reapplied and went for the ride. The chain was quiet, and shifted smoothly. I rode through a little mud, but it was a 97% dry ride...nearly all of the mud puddles on the trail have dried. It'll rain again, and I'll for sure will be picking up a good deal of mud. I'm curious to see how the lube will perform
That’s close to what I’ve done over many years. I started out applying it often and found that I just didn’t have to use it as often as suggested.

I took a look at the published SDS and the document is incomplete. It only lists the solvent...heptane. No mention of any other ingredient.
SDS stands for Safety Data Sheet. The only items that have to be listed on the SDS are ingredients that present hazard to health or are flammable. The wax presents no hazard so it isn’t listed. White Lightning’s literature state that it is a wax. I’ve read something about White Lightning long ago that said the waxes are a mixture of hard wax like canning wax and soft wax like Vaseline. I can’t find the reference any more, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!