Old 07-03-21, 12:58 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
The driving force in the bicycle industry is to make cyclists buy more bicycles and associated gear in order to make more money. The innovations in bike technology have been for the most part good, but few have been necessary. I could have sent the rest of my life on bikes with rim brakes, but now they are fairly uncommon as hydraulic discs are everywhere. Who really needs all the high tech stuff that brings bicycle costs into the thousands?

Another push in the industry is to make cyclists lust after speed so that they will buy the latest gear to shave off a few grams of weight and improve their "times." Titanium bolts and that sort of stuff are expensive and, for the most part, fairly useless.

Most of the cyclists I know and see aren't concerned with high tech innovations or with speed. They simply like to ride their bikes.

But no one compels cyclists to buy new stuff. If you want to and have the money, there you go. If you like some of the latest innovations, they are there to buy. No harm done. I do wish, however, that bicycles weren't so expensive.
Very good post. The bike companies have to make money somehow. Actual innovation is rare. Like all hobbies, the enthusiasts are always looking for the next "thing". In cycling it's all about weight reduction and speed. I just bought titanium quick releases. Do I actually NEED them? No. The old ones are a little rusty so I wanted to get a new pair. Will they actually do anything better than what I already have? No? But for $35 I said what the heck. I'm a bit of a weight-weenie. Don't know why some people seem to have a problem with how other people spend their money.
Likes For pgjackson: