View Single Post
Old 07-26-21, 04:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I've lived through "the biggie". I was wearing what was at the time the best helmet made. Still suffered a 5 day coma and years of recovery. I started riding again 4 months later, riding the old helmet. The manufacturer sent me a replacement a couple of months later when I contacted them.

I don't say that is what others should do. But at the same time, that damaged helmet is far more protection than going without and the odds are good that the next crash will be on a different part of the helmet where it is still fully intact. So, my advice is to have your eye open for a helmet that you really want to wear; that serves you as well or better than what you have. Meanwhile wear that one. Let the scratches be a reminder that you still need to find the replacement. Once you have that new one in hand. set aside the old one but keep it so you never get caught short and have to ride bareheaded.