Thread: Burlingron Vt
View Single Post
Old 02-14-22, 06:23 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
FYI- a short distance above Ft. Ann, NY the Empire Trail follows mostly high-speed state highways with varying shoulder widths - not fun. You may want to consider crossing over the Crown Point Bridge (very nice views) into VT and heading north from there on Lake St. and other roads that stay close to the lake. There are various back ways into/around Burlington depending on your destination. Burlington is a fun town - especially downtown and the waterfront- worth a visit.

Google Street View and Bing Maps show ground-level views of most of the roads on the VT side of the lake so you can preview the route. The Crown Point (NY), DAR (VT), and Button Bay (VT) campgrounds are all quite nice if you are camping.

Downtown Saratoga Springs is also a nice side trip if you are so inclined. It's about 13 miles over and back - each way- from where the Empire Trail passes through Schuylerville. Take Burgoyne Rd. to Meadowbrook Rd to Dyer Switch to Crescent Ave. to route 9 north ( Broadway) into downtown. Stay off route 29, route 50, and route 9p (Union Ave.)
Originally Posted by bktourer1
Thanks for the assists. All is still in planning and the Western side of Lake Champlain would be done with early morning starts to beat traffic
Have some side roads plotted, to beat the faster traffic.
A ferry is planned in case the weather turns.
Southbound out of Burlington camps have been routed to either Button Bay (no store nearby) or DAR which has a store before campground.
Heading south out of DAR, I may take the Crown Point bridge and go south (nothing finalized yet)
I have friends on both sides of Champlain and between motels/and friends I should be ok.
Been all over street view and have elevation charts of the Northbound
The biggest issue is the lack of bike shops north of Plattsburgh. I have all the bike shops on this route logged on my cues.
If you are concerned about getting stranded, the last time I checked AAA will send a vehicle for a member with a broken-down bike - could take you to a bike shop on the NY side of the lake or to the Port Kent, NY ferry to Burlington. The Ski Rack bike shop in Burlington is a few blocks up the Main St. hill from the ferry dock.